Late, late bloom - Iris laevigata 'Semperflorens'

Tom Dillard Said:

"One week ago I picked two stalks of Iris laevigata 'Semperflorens.'
...   The flower was
pale blue, almost that powder blue of the TB 'Song of Norway.'  (My
catalog
says this cultivar is "grape color," but mine certainly was NOT!)  Do
any
of you grow this beardless iris...and do I have a properly named
specimen???"

Tom,

I grow an Iris laevigata, 'Semperflorens.'  It is definitely a dark
blue/violet.  Could the lighter color be due to the late bloom?  Or
maybe you have a different clone.

BTW - I have two clumps, one in standing water in a "bucket" garden,
the other in my beardless iris bed.  They one in the bed gets the
same amout of water as my LAs and SIBs which is not really enough for
them.  It does just as well as the one in the water and even survived
this years drought.  So much for it's absolute requirement for
standing water.

Coming later .... my "species for beginners" picks.

Rodney Barton
Hickory Creek, (North Central) Texas, USA
Zone 7/8, typical temp range 15 - 105 F (-9 - 41 C)
AIS, SIGNA, SPCNI, SLI, FWIS, Iris-L