"1/8th-bred" experiment

Lowell Baumunk wrote:

:  I hadn't tried to make crosses with M.O. before because I figured that as a
:  quarter-bred, it would be very difficult.  Not so in this case?  Anyway, I am
:  intrigued by the notion of eighth-breds with aril characteristics.

Crossing quarterbreds with quarterbreds is indeed difficult.  I've done it, but
have obtained few seeds and even those have a low germination and survival rate.
I've found that crossing quarterbreds with halfbreds is somewhat easier, and
quarterbreds often pod to tetraploid aril pollen.

By reputation, quarterbreds cross most easily with TBs.  From the vast number of
1/8th-breds recorded under the old system, I'd say that's true.  From personal
experience -- I can only relate that I can't grow TBs well enough to test the

The term "1/8-bred" comes from the old quantum system, because there is no such
thing as a chromosome-set 1/8-bred.  That doesn't change the genetics, or the
possibilties to be found in the seedling patch, of course -- just the
registration requirements.

Sharon McAllister (73372.1745@compuserve.com)
Southern New Mexico