Re: Species Iris - Beginner's Primer Request

Donald Mosser asked
>could
>anyone who grows or has grown a fair number of species recommend and
>describe some easy and forgiving species which would thrive in the hands of
>iris beginners?

If you are thinking of growing any of the bulbous juno (=scorpiris) group, I
would strongly recommend that you try to get hold of I. cycloglossa.  It has
big, bluey purple flowers which are strongly scented, is easy to grow either
outside or in pots and doesn't have a disproportionate amount of foliage.
It's getting about a bit more (sorry - I don't know the current position in
N. America but I would assume much the same) and is well worth seeking out.

Ian
Ian Black  ianblack@easynet.co.uk
Hampshire, UK  - mintemp  -8C
http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~ianblack/