species irises

A while ago, I managed to read a few of the many notes that have been
tantalizingly swarming around my computer while it was also trying to
get other work done.  I haven't managed to follow all of the discussions,
but I'll jump in with my experiences anyway.

One asked about a variegated I. tectorum known to be grown outside
mass-market catalogs.  Carol Warner does grow it, and although she
doesn't have it in quantities large enough to offer commercially, she
did send me a division this summer; unfortunately, mine struggled
quite a bit with the move and I don't have high hopes for it lasting the
winter, especially with December a month early, the woolly worms
dressed ominously, and all the squirrels gathering extra nuts.

Another asked about a source for I. halophila.  I got mine from
Cooper's Garden, 2345 Decatur Ave. N., Golden Valley MN 55427.
This is a regular catalog listing, and although it is again the first
year I've tried it, this one seemed to get through the fall well.

I have a couple of others too in this experimental batch--just to see
how they do here: reports next year.  However, one that I've plugged
before and will continue to plug is I. graminea.  It seems to be tough
enough to stand up to my occasional neglect and offer the greatest
little flowers alluringly dressed in a fountain of foliage.  It grows fine
in Delaware and fine in Ohio.

Jim Wilson, Oxford, OH   USDA Zone 6a    AIS garden judge, Region 6
growing medians, TBs, Siberians, JIs, and a few SPU and species
wilsonjh@muohio.edu