Re: Standards for Introduction

Gigi said
> > >Also, the vast majority of hybridizers have no way to test
> > >the hardiness of their cultivars prior to award.
> >
> > I bet they could find some volunteers on this list to test and report on
> > their babies!  Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east TN USA
> Diana replied:
> They sure could. I'd like to be second in line after Linda. Can we
> write to anyone to volunteer?**********

Years ago, when things were simple, AIS had test gardens for hybridizers
to test their new intros.  Now with the scads of hybridizers working on
the scads of "NEW" yellows and blues and whites and.......this isn't
practical anymore.  The Loomis Test Garden in Colorado is the only one of
its kind. (that I know of)  I agree totally that more hybridizers should
send their seedlings BEFORE intro to all parts of the country.  But,
since time is important to the hybridizers, and time doesn't put food on
the table, don't expect many of them to offer.  There seems to be more
"TEST" gardens in the Median and Beardless areas.....interesting.

BTW - Idea:  Should AIS tell hybridizers how many introductions per year
they can have...like 5 TB's, 5 SDB's, 5 Siberians, etc.?

I have said this many times....if judges would just go by the Handbook,
90% of the intros would not get any awards.

Those of you on the list can grow seedlings from Median hybridizers if
you ask.  I currently grow for 6 hybridizers outside of Region 4.  No
harm in asking.

Dennis