AIS Board response

> Dennis Stoneburner wrote (excerpts -->
> If serious discussion is in order, than a discussion about
> the future of the American Iris Society is tops on the list.
> What do
> we have to offer them to come back, or those who are left.
> ***
> What kinds of things do you suggest be done, Dennis, what do you think
> the AIS has to offer to folks?  I want to end there, because to add the rest
> of the phrase tempts a bandaid solution.
> What is the future of the AIS??
> I think the local clubs and the local members are the heart of the
> organization. The Board and officers are very remote to me. As folks,
> they are nice, but as a Board of Directors, directing, I'd like to see
> some interaction with the local clubs...
> Carolyn Schaffner in Buffalo, NY

Well, it's been a few days so I thought I would respond to the many
private and public postings concerning AIS.

1.	Carolyn is right when she says the local clubs are the heart of
AIS.  These local clubs make up the regions and they have an RVP.....but
the RVP has very little say in the order of things.  1st thing to
fix.....RVP gets 1 vote like the Board of Directors......24 Regions, 24
votes......AHHHHHHHH the Board members says....they have more votes that
us.    That's right, that's the way it should be period.  There is a
problem when you have several regions talking of merging......no one
willing to step to the plate and take the task of RVP.  Why should
2.	Lloyd, in a seperate posting, mentioned about the member
receiving the iris order and after watching them die, lose heart and
quit......I would only add to the posting:
The American Iris Society needs to have the highest quality publication,
with the highest quality photos, both B&W and color (esp. the front
cover)and articles bringing in more of the regional flare and lots of
culture...I mean LOTS.  This should be the Mini-Bible to the AIS member.
3.	The Board of Directors should have term limits.  I know this was
changed at the Fall Meeting....but instead of 1 year off.....3 years off.
 Also a Board member needs to have been an RVP first.  Care should be
excercised in selection of people for certain jobs.  VERY close watch
should be placed over the treasury.  Spending needs to be tightened
up....Again a Board member who has had to do this on a regional level
will have a better understanding.
4.	The Board's 1st goal should be helping the regions grow in
quantity and quality.

AIS lost 500 members this Spring and 1000 members this Fall.  Going from
8700 to 7200 is not good for both quantity and quality....not to mention
the finances.  If we lose even another 500 members the finances will take
a big hit.  Raising ad rates for the Bulletin or R&I prices will not make
up the difference. We need quality leadership at the top.........