Iris Adaptable to Varied Conditions

  • To: iris-l@rt66.com
  • Subject: Iris Adaptable to Varied Conditions
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <KOEKKOEK@dordt.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 09:13:13 CST6CDT

Linda Mann raised the issue of iris that don't seem to be widely
adaptable, in her questions about AIS. It seems to me to be a
separate, but very important, issue all by itselt.  How can I know
that what seems beautiful in a catalog, gets rave reviews in one
place, will do well in my garden?  A big part of the problem is the
lack of testing in different areas before introduction.  I'm not a
hybridizer, so I don't know what the normal practices are.  Is it
already the case that hybridizers send out several rhizomes of things
they think have possibilities to different people around the country
to have their babies tested in different conditions?  If not,
wouldn't this make sense?  Or is this a naive suggestion and not very

Arnold Koekkoek
NW Iowa Zone 4 (where it was -2F this morning, much too cold for late
November, so I'm thankful we got 4" of insulating snow on Saturday.)