Re: Species for Beginners

On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, Arnold Koekkoek wrote:

> The first question I ask about species, or anything else for that
> matter, is, "Is it hardy in this zone 4 climate?"  So, bring on those
> recommendations, love to have them, but can you include hardiness
> information, too, if you know it?  It would be appreciated.

	One that for sure would be hardy in Zones 4 and 3, is
	I. setosa but there is more than one variety. The one native
	to Alaska is the one you want. It is a small to med. size blue
	flowering plant and has very attractive foliage to my eye.
	Of course I. versicolor (all varieties) should be fine in
	our colder cimate....I have some native seeds that I could
	send you...they are also blue-flowering.

	You might want to try some I. versicolor hybrids that are very
	lovely...if you are interested in sources, e-mail me privately.

	I am trying some new ones this year including I. chrysographes
	and will report more next year.

	Ellen Gallagher
	Zone 3a
	Lancaster, New Hampshire, USA