Hardiness Testing

LMann76543@aol.com wrote:

> Gigi said
> >Also, the vast majority of hybridizers have no way to test
> >the hardiness of their cultivars prior to award.
>
> I bet they could find some volunteers on this list to test and report on
> their babies!
>
> Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east TN USA

Ditto, and maybe the AIS could design a standard reporting form. (and
maybe not...)

While we are here, next year will be the first year that I will be
making notes on what goes on in my iris garden. So what are the
important things to note? My first cut.

When it blooms
Number of branches
Number of buds
Number of increases
Percentage of increases that bloom
How long the blooms last
Quality of the flower
Quality of the foliage
Height
Resistance to rot
Unusual characteristics (like ridges on the leaves, stalks that fall
over)

I am sure that there are lots of things I forgot,

--
On 26 Nov  in -

1716 - The first lion exhibited in America was seen in Boston, MA this
day.

1789 - was a day of thanksgiving set aside by President Washington to
observe the adoption of the Constitution of the United States, the first
national celebration of Thanksgiving.

188 - the first meteor is photographed.

1922 - On this day, the tomb of The Boy King, Tutankhamen, was
discovered in Egypt by Lord Carnarvon of England and Howard Carter of
the United States. The find was called, "The greatest archaeological
discovery of all time."

and at the top of the charts in:
1958 - It's Only Make Believe - Conway Twitty
---
REMEMBER: Edit those subject lines!

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.