Re: Seeds & Seedlings

On Sat, 23 Nov 1996 Z88KEYS@aol.com wrote:

> Donald.  Usually one waits until the pod starts to open , before harvesting.
> At this time of year, you may have to harvest earlier, and keep from
> freezing. Then wait for the pod to split before harvesting.  Severe freezing
> would obviously halt the development of the seeds.  Lloyd Z.  Durham NC  Zone

	When I harvesting seeds from our native I. versicolor this Sept., I
	decided to take the stalks with pods and bring them home to sit in
	a jar of water until brown and dry.....the pods never opened now I
	did it myself and the seeds were ready. They are resting now in
	an envelope waiting for planting.

	I have come to a conclusion about native seed collecting...do it
	when you see a pod. These three I. versicolors plants were up-rooted
	by the state (town?) in their zeal to widen a little dirt road in
	the forest. All vegetation that grew along the road is destroyed
	and I mourn not only my wonderful iris but other native flowers
	plus some small conifers.

	At least these particular Northern native iris will live again
	up here - I've joined with a group to identify and try to save our
	 native flower species not just iris. Our first meeting is Dec. 10th
	 in Lebanon, New Hampshire....in case any lurkers from New England
	would be interested, e-mail me privately. Thank you.

	Cheers on a 10 degree F. day,

	Ellen Gallagher
	e_galla@moose.ncia.net
	Lancaster, New Hampshire, USA