Re: Seeds & Seedlings

At 07:32 AM 11/23/96 -0500, you wrote:
>What about asking the list if anyone has a spare pod of the sort
>yours was and planting the seeds in it in rows which you can keep
>track of with notes on the seeds etc.
>Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca>
>Zone 4/5 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada

This post reminded me of an question/idea that I once had.  Has any
hybridizer ever thought of selling mature seed pods or seeds from known
crosses (especially if you have surplus that you can't grow out)?

I think that it would be fun for the beginner to buy seeds from known
crosses with the possibility of growing them out and maybe, on a long shot,
having something nice to register.  I find that, as a beginner, I don't
really have the number or variety of plants which I would think are required
for a good breeding program.  Another plus to this idea would be that you
might see the result of regional selection acting differently upon crosses
to produce "keepers" which might not perform well for a variety of reasons
in the hybridizer's garden, but might just become a real winner under
different growing conditions.

I know the ideal iris performs fantastically under every possible growing
condition from frozen tundra to steamy swamps, but is development of region
specific irises all that bad? (I know this comment could start a war.:)

-Donald (wait, let me get my armor on! :)

Donald Mosser
AIS, HIPS, SPCNI, IRIS-L
dmosser@southconn.com
North Augusta, South Carolina, USA