Re: species iris

Ian said
< I would like to see an exchange of information on local
irises.

The only species iris I have seen locally (although there others, I believe)
are I. cristata, which is such an abundant little guy, we all tend to take it
for granted, and I. verna, which I have only seen once or twice in the
foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains.

One of our local club members gave me a chunk of what looks like pictures of
I. versicolor, which he says he found many years ago, 'somewhere' out in the
woods.  After leaving it in a pail for two years (where it has NOT bloomed,
though it tried once), I finally got around to planting it last week and next
year will make a positive ID.

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east TN USA