Re: showing irises - cleanup

>  Some people at the show spent a great dea=
> l of=20
> time cleaning up their irises.  One lady just came in and stuck them in the=
> =20
> containers and put them on the show floor.  What do the judges look for?

As a judge I do not want to find any dirt or bugs.  An occasional aphid
is no big deal but a colony is a definite problem.  Fingerprints should
either be wiped off or never left.  I know judges who penalize for
wiping an iris clean and exhibitors who use powder and a brush to put
the "blush" back on an iris stalk.  I don't care whether you wipe them
off or never leave them on the stalk to start with just so long as if
you leave them you do something about them.  This is all grooming and is
important in my opinion.  After all this is an iris show and you would
not take your dog, cat or horse to a show without a bath, would you?

--
Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7
17.76"