Proposed Experiment

Linda Mann asked:

:  Will MAG. OBS. grow here in east Tennessee?  Come to think of it, will any
:  pink-ground bicolor tall bearded iris grow here?  Pink iris in general don't
:  do very well in our climate and soils.

I haven't had any reports one way or the other  from eastern TN, but one that it
did well near Nashville.

:  What does MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION look like?

Pearl grey standards.  Apricot-buff falls.  Large, round, oxblood red signal.

Donald Mosser asked:

:  Sharon, for those of us who are real beginners could you identify an example
:  of a pink-ground bicolor TB?  Maybe pick some examples from the last
:  Schreiner's catalog if you have one.  I need help visualizing it.  Would
:  this be something with pink standards and slightly different pink falls, but
:  with some other color splashed or stitched on the standards or falls?

SOSTENIQUE is the most reliable one I've found so far, paired with a variety of
arilbreds.  It has apricot-pink standards, and light violet falls that have a
much lighter area in the center.  As a general rule, TBs with solid pink
standards and falls of another color have given the highest percentage of
quarterbreds with signals.  Plicatas with violet stitching on pink ground have
also proven effective.  Pink selfs tend to be ineffective.  I don't mean to
suggest that ONLY this type of flower is worth using -- it just gives the best
odds.

I'm sure the real TB experts here can come up with some better examples.

Sharon McAllister (73372.1745@compuserve.com)