Local iris society vs. IRIS-L

At 05:19 AM 11/22/96 -0500, you wrote:

>Carolyn Schaffner wrote:

>>>Suzette -- how about becoming the Youth Chair?? or Adult advisor??

>I've only been growing irises for a year!  I just planted my first iris
garden this year!  I haven't >even seen a bloom yet.  I know nothing about
irises.  That's why I joined the AIS so I can learn.  >So far most of what I
learned is from this list.  I'm getting this for free.  I could've saved my
>money and just joined the list.

I'm assuming that Suzette wrote this response to Carolyn.

How unfortunate that Suzette's local iris society hasn't been more open and
sensitive to new members and iris fanciers such as her.  This is also my
first year of really growing irises and the IRIS-L has certainly enhanced my
iris experience, probably more than my local society.  My first exposure to
a local iris society was at my Region's spring meeting this year.  Granted,
there were individuals there who gave the impression of being in a clique,
however, I'm a very assertive person (sometimes described as aggressive) and
I made friends at every opportunity, just ask Clarence Mahan.  I would
recommend that new members, like myself, persevere and focus on making a
connection in your local group with the one person who seems the most
receptive to making new friends.  Don't ever assume that anyone is too
important or too busy to be approached.  I would highly recommend to other
new iris society members that they try to attend a regional meeting to get a
broader experience.  Good luck Suzette with breaking the ice at your local
iris society.

-Donald

Donald Mosser
AIS, HIPS, SPCNI, IRIS-L
dmosser@southconn.com
North Augusta, South Carolina, USA
Zone 7b-8
First avg. frost date approx. Nov.15th
Last avg. frost date approx. March 15th
Relatively mild winters by New England standards
HOT and HUMID Summers!