Re: Transporting Show Stalks

On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, Amy Rupp (zone 8b TX) wrote:

> WRT the complaints about off-topic discussion:  in the winter in the
> Northern Hemisphere we quickly run out of gardening related information
> on other lists.  Though I can garden year-round in my zone, not everyone
> can, and I get lots of posts about cuddling up with cocoa, a hot fire,

Yup, I wanted to tell Dennis that this list hops during the summer
when there are lots of proplems and wonderful blooms out in the
garden and people are making all kinds of obsevations etc. I am
sitting here looking out at my iris leaves peeking above the leaves
I have mulched their bed with and thinking nothing much is
happening. I have noticed that other people are doing this too. Tom
did say that he thought the communications in this list should be
like a chat about growing irises over the back fence. You can't get
textbook type instruction from a group like this anyway.

> Perhaps we could encourage our Southern hemiphere member(s) to post
> more?  Or recruit more from that area of the world? Yuh, I'd like
that too.

> I have kept checking my fans for any sign of bloom -- no frost yet,
> though we are coming up quickly on the average first freeze date of Nov.
> 30.  Exceptionally warm weather has kept my hibiscus in bloom, and the
I have enjoyed the notices that people have sent about fall and
winter coming on as they occur going south. We have had a few
snowfalls but they have melted and winter is still not here.

--
Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca>
Zone 5 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada