AIS Membership and Learning

suzette.guay@MAIL.ADITECH.COM wrote:

> I've only been growing irises for a year!  I just planted my first iris garden this year!  I haven't even seen a bloom yet.  I know nothing about irises.
> That's why I joined the AIS so I can learn.  So far most of what I learned is from this list.  I'm getting this for free.  I could've saved my money and just joined the list.

Chris responds:
Carolyn gave some wonderful advice to Suzette and others interested in
pursuing their Iris education.

Carolyn wrote:
Suzette -- what I'm suggesting is that as a person who works with the
youth, you will also learn!! all about iris and at the same time find
friends to talk to about iris, and you might feel more included in the
group if you have a specific task within the group.  I see learning as a
participatory activity.

Chris adds to all of the above:
Learning a subject (any subject) is also a matter of gathering as much
information as possible from MANY sources. Do not see/expect your
membership in the AIS to be your whole education on the subject of
irises. It should be part of the experience though. Don't base your iris
education on the information from any one source. For instance, collect
information from: AIS, local iris societies, books on iris, the WWW, the
Iris list, first hand "hands -on" experience, attending iris shows,
becoming a judge, etc., etc.. One could go on and on.
In any case, the knowledge is available for the taking from many sources
and your particular education will only be a full and rounded one after
completing the "curriculum" and after assimilating the information in
your own mind. This will enable you develop your own informed opinions
and conclusions on the subject.
If you go about it the right way you can also have a lot of fun and
camaraderie along the way.
--
Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b