New Book

Up here in Canada, we are unlikely to receive the AIS Bulletin for sometime
as Canada Post has a policy of storing all mail for a certain period of time
before delivery!  I did receive the SIGNA bulletin and, for those of you who
do not get it, thought that a reference to a new book would be of interest.

A Guide to Species Irises edited by the British Iris Society is to be
published by Cambridge University Press and it can be obtained with a 20%
discount by telephoning the press at 1-800-872-7423.  The discount cost is
$39.96 US plus UPI parcel postage at $3.50.  In S.Africa, Australia, and NZ,
the press will have offices locally. To obtain the discount one must refer
to MD6PLNT and the book order number 440742.

As I have mentioned earlier, I agree with many of the comments from Bill
Shear about the list and the Bulletin but I enjoy the list particularly even
through it requires many deletion of trivia.  I would like to see more on
species irises rather than the same old TB, but that is my personal bias.
In particular, I would like to see an exchange of information on local
irises.  The list could even tackle some interesting problems.  For example,
I have been trying to pin down the distribution of virginica.  Surprising
enough, it is found in the middle region of the St Lawrence River far away
from it nearest neighbours to the south or West.  How far north does it come
along the east coast - Virginia?  How far east does it come along the Great
Lakes? How far west does it go in the Mississipi Valley?  With all the
experts on the list providing local information, we should be able to pin
point areas of particular interest.

I would be willing to summarize the replies if they are sent to me off list.

Ian E. Efford
Ottawa zone 3