New garden

Dear List:
I have a new garden apartment on Staten Island that actually has a garden.
It faces south and of course Iris are going to be the featured performers.
Right now it is quite overgrown with weeds and bushes, I don't imagine it
has ever been seriously cultivated. I have two questions:
1. Is there anything I can do now to prepare the soil for next spring?
2. Is it possible for me to have Iris blooms next spring (this spring)
without planting rizhomes right now; is it even possible to plant rhizomes
this late? Temperatures are already down to the mid 40's low 50's, winter is
nearly here. Thanks in advance for any ideas on the subject.
Howard A. Ashley