Re: American Iris Society

Dennis said
>  If serious discussion is in order, than a discussion about
>the future of the American Iris Society is tops on the list.  We have
>lost our vision, out money and now our members (1000+ lately).

Sadly, I tend to regard discussions about AIS as off the topic of iris.

Our discussions on the list about AIS have mostly wound up being dominated by
those who love AIS and what it does for them.  The only way to change the
downward trend is to get those 1000+ members to talk a lot about what they
don't like and to change it.  This is one topic that I also took off line - I
was curious as to what people were so unhappy about, which they seemed
unwilling to post to 300+ listers.  Some impressions I have - the ruling body
(AIS board of directors?) is unresponsive, unwilling to take risks, inbred,
with no mechanism for democratic change; AIS is very cliqueish (sp?) (which
is true for a lot of societies, but it doesn't help keep membership or
promote change).

Are the patterns of loss of vision, money, and memberships a sociological one
- present in other societies?