Re: We need an editor

Dennis Hager wrote:

>I'm a short timer on iris-l ...
>I wade through so many irrelevant postings that I am tempted to quit....
>There was a very serious posting about attending a Hemerocallis Society
>meeting. Kathyguest responded with a big ditto. I can assure you that
>glib (if you don't know what it means, look it up) postings do nothing
>but put off potential contributors and potential members of the AIS and
>your local chapter.

I am also a short timer but will make bold to comment.

I remember that response from Kathyguest and her observation that a group is
nothing without its folk.  People need to be comfortable and different
people need different things to feel that way.  I have begun to "know" some
of the people on the list as much by their off-topic comments and
discussions, as by their focused iris info.  But I will agree with Dennis
that it can take some weeding of messages to find what you want to read and
some folk need the efficient route.

Therefore, I suggest that list contributors make a Herculean effort to
describe accurately their topic within their header.  I don't mind using the
delete key and can whip through 30 messages very quickly if the header topic
seems uninteresting to me.

One other suggestion:  the format of my e-mail header makes it difficult to
pick up who is the author.  This may be true of other systems, so it would
be helpful if the sender signs his/her message within the text.  I also find
helpful including the USDA zone, so I can figure the relevance of any
growing information to my garden.

Kathy Marble
Harvard, MA
zone 5