Re: American Iris Society

On Thu, 21 Nov 1996 LMann76543@aol.com wrote:

> Sadly, I tend to regard discussions about AIS as off the topic of iris.

	I don't.

> (AIS board of directors?) is unresponsive, unwilling to take risks, inbred,
> with no mechanism for democratic change; AIS is very cliqueish (sp?) (which
> is true for a lot of societies, but it doesn't help keep membership or
> promote change).

	I have been a member of AIS for a short time - four years - and I
	have found the opposite to be true in my dealings with the hierarchy.
	On the contrary, with all my ignorance  re growing irises, I have
	 had nothing but good results and lots of time and guidance have
	 been given to me.

	 Maybe I expected less than others and am grateful for any advice
	people give me...I can use it.

> Are the patterns of loss of vision, money, and memberships a sociological one
> - present in other societies?

	Every one I belong to....I must say I think the AIS is *not* in dire
	financial straits (I read the minutes of the board meetings, don't
	forget ).:-)

	What vision are we speaking about? To promote the growing of flowers
	that belong to the genus Iris?

	Do we give people what they want? They want the TBs and that is
	what the AIS focus is on....not my preference but that is reality
 	in North America where most of the members live.

	I am an optimist by nature and happy if I get up in the morning
	and am still alive and walking around but a Pollyanna or a light-
	weight I am not. (says she, smugly :-)) but not glibly...

	Cheers,

	Ellen Gallagher
	e_galla@moose.ncia.net
	Lancaster, New Hampshire, USA