Me - Questions - Questions

I sort of snuck in here months ago without posting a bio because I didn't
really feel I had much to say. In iris terms I'm an infant - I just
purchased my first irises this year. Some of them actually had names too:)
Before then I just took whatever was being passed around, and found out
that a lot of iris has creeped into my perennial bed.

Living in the Hudson Valley and being permanently unemployed (can you say
'downsizing' and 'IBM'?) I started volunteering in the gardens at
Vanderbilt Historic Site in Hyde Park. (I also work for no pay at the
Roosevelt Library constructing databases - but that's not iris related)
Since we're putting in new beds that are largely irises, and I've talked
about this list to people, I periodically get asked to ask you questions.

Today's questions are:

Does anybody know of a good place to find color pictures of historic
(circa. 1920-1930's) TBs? This is the era we are trying to reconstruct at
Vanderbilt. We have a plan that simply says 'blue iris', and the people in
charge of buying the actual plants want to look at pictures so they can
design a pleasing mix of blue, purple and white.

How many plants do we need to buy per square foot to populate the bed? They
want to skip the step of 'we just planted this and it will fill in next

What are the chances of getting somebody to ship TBs in the spring? The
beds were dug a few weeks ago, and a lot of people get nervous about having
empty beds when there are visitors around. If it's an entirely lousy idea
TELL ME so I can try to talk them out of it. The big problem with an all
volunteer organization is that we don't always know what we're doing.
Sometimes we have absolutely no idea what we're doing:) Hopefully we learn
as we go along.

Thanks in advance,
Kay Cangemi
New York, USDA zone 5