MEET JIM HEDGECOCK --Region 18 Hybridizer

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: MEET JIM HEDGECOCK --Region 18 Hybridizer
  • From: Barb Johnson <ljohnson@cland.net>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 09:18:08 -0600

This is the first in a series of 11 articles I would like to post, with
the hybridizers' written permission, from the Spring 1994 AIS Region 18
Bulletin (MO & KS). I would like to call it the Meet the Hybridizers
series. So far I have permission from three of the 11 Region 18
hybridizers whose articles were printed therein.

					by Jim Hedgecock
					Comanche Acres Iris Gardens
					RR 1  Box 258
					Gower, Missouri  64454

I appreciate this opportunity to share my views with my fellow Region 18
friends. In earlier years I bred game birds and later Simmental cattle.
I grew up around irises and I rediscovered them again in 1978. It was
only natural for me to want to cross a few irises and see what I might

My first crosses were made in 1981. Almost immediately I became
interested in some very specific varieties and colors that I wanted to
work with.  A few goals that I am working with and for are: a black
Space Age iris, various pastel irises with true blue beards, improved
Space Age irises in general, and more recently, improved rebloomers in
all color ranges.

We are now (1994) seeing third and fourth generation crosses blooming
from some of these goals and I am very pleased with what I am doing.

The real fun and challenge for me in hybridizing is walking into a
seedling patch that has never bloomed before and seeing the creations
that God has allowed me to develop. There are always more than a few
that won't be introduced, but that is part of the quest. When the really
good ones bloom for the first time, I am on a real high.

I hope that I have many years left to hybridize irises. If God allows me
to continue, I am certain that many new and exciting irises will come
out of Comanche Acres.

Finally, I want to mention a few fellow hybridizers both from Region 18
and across the U.S. that have been so very important to me in my
efforts. These friends include Dr. Norlan Henderson, Henry Rowlan,
Lloyd Zurbrigg, J. R. Allen, Dave Niswonger, and Elvan Roderick. Also,
departed friends that I truly miss are Jim Mahoney, Monty Byers and Carl

I also want to admit that I would not go very far at all without my wife
and partner, Lamoyne. The extra care she gives our seedlings in early
growth truly pays off.

If you have the time, patience, and interest, I invite anyone to try a
little pollen dabbing, but watch out -- it is habit forming.

					Reprinted with permission,
					from the Spring 1994
					AIS Region 18 Bulletin