We need an editor

I'm a short timer on iris-l and I am forced to make a few observations
about postings. I preface all that I say with a thank you to those who
have provided great information in this forum.
I wade through so many irrelevant postings that I am tempted to quit. I
tried the digest form. It was so long that I switched back. I've saved
10 postings, have 36 more that may be pertinent and immediately put 100
more in the trash immediately--and that's in the last 7 days.
Many of these postings were of interest to someone--usually one person.
They could have been e-mailed directly to the intended recipient.
As a newcomer to all of this, I am impressed by a few participants who
know their stuff and are able to share it. Busy enthusiasts always have
time to help someone along.
There was a very serious posting about attending a Hemerocallis Society
meeting. Kathyguest responded with a big ditto. I can assure you that
glib (if you don't know what it means, look it up) postings do nothing
but put off potential contributors and potential members of the AIS and
your local chapter.
I know I don't stand alone with this opinion of iris-l. The person who
told me about it warned me that it is often off-subject.
I know a little about irises. I would like to know more. I like to help
people learn what I know about them. If that becomes the main thrust of
iris-l, I'm here to stay. If not, "Adios."

R. Dennis Hager, on the Delmarva Penninsula, who really cares about
promoting the irises.
e-mail rdhager@dmv.com