Re: Shows and transportation, etc.

Arnold -- Kathy Guests would know the number of stalks in a WNYIS show.
We don't restrict the number any one person can enter.  You asked about
methods of carrying the stalks to a show. We have a couple of guys who
live within walking distance and manage to win lots of blue ribbons...

I have a 5 gallon paint/plaster pail that I can fit behind the passenger
seat in my station wagon when the passenger seat is all the way forward.
I cut the iris, wrap the stalk first in paper toweling, then in newspaper
and put these rolls into the pail with water in the bottom. without the
toweling, the newsprint comes off on the stalks.  I try to alternate
a roll of newspaper with a roll with a stalk in it to keep the blooms
from knocking into one another. I pack the pail with empty rolls to
keep the stalks upright.

Some folks use a cardboard box, cut notches in the rim of two ends and
lay the stalks across the box alternating the bloom so that the don't
knock into each other.....

One of the secrets I think, is to get to the show really really early
or really really late either before or after the main rush -- then
there is space in the preparation room.

But the commaradarie and business at this point is fun. Someone always
asks if we are having fun yet, and someone always says this is not supposed
to Be fun, and who's nervous and nervouser...

Carolyn Schaffner in Buffalo, NY