Re: Shows and transportation, etc.

> but I'd like to know how she (or any of you) go about
> packing stalks and transporting them so they will arrive safely.
	There are several methods of transporting iris that are being used
locally.  My favorite is to take a bucket, I prefer the square ones that
cat litte comes in but round ones also work.  I use those pieces of foam
made for wrapping around your water pipes and cut them about half as
tall as the bucket.  You need to really squeeze these in tight because
when you add water they will try to float out if not tightly packed.
Then I add water to about 2/3 full and place my iris in the holes of the
foam.  I bought several different sizes of this to accomodate different
stalk diameters.  Newspapers also work but only once and the bucket gets
very heavy.  I can set one of these in behind the front seats in the
floorboard of my Corsica with 8-10 iris in each.  The same thing with
shorter specimens will ride in the front passenger floorboard.
	Another trick is to take flat boxes and cut v notches in each end.
Then lay your iris in the notches.  Just make sure your boxes are taller
than the radius of your iris.  These can be placed in the trunk and in
the back seat.  I also have a friend who lines her iris in the back seat
of her car with the bloom hanging off the front of the back seat and
then uses books to anchor the stem down in the seat.
> Or does your club limit the number of speciments each
> person may enter?
	Our society limits the number of exhibits to 15 per family unit.
This negates the built in advantage that one person with a large
quantity of iris would have for the silver or bronze medals.
> How
> big a show do you folks have, usually, that is, how many show stalks?
	I think we usually have about 150 horticulture stalks and probably 20
exhibitors on an average.  Just a guess because I can not seem to put my
finger on the show records at the moment.
	Hope this helps some.

Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7
of rain a year.  Our average wind speed is 12.5 mph and we have an