Re: We need an editor

R. Dennis Hager wrote:

> I'm a short timer on iris-l and I am forced to make a few observations
> about postings. I preface all that I say with a thank you to those who
> have provided great information in this forum.
> I wade through so many irrelevant postings that I am tempted to quit. I
> tried the digest form. It was so long that I switched back. I've saved
> 10 postings, have 36 more that may be pertinent and immediately put 100
> more in the trash immediately--and that's in the last 7 days.

Dennis Stoneburner replys:

Well I must put on my gardening shoes and hop into this one:

Yes, what you say is true.  I have stop posting and responding to this
list lately because it has become boring and most of the messages are
deleted after a quick skim.  Substance is what we need - quality not
quantity.  Yes, I would also agree that many messages could have and
should have been posted to the person in question.  But, no we do not
need an editor.  We all need to decide that quality Iris discussion is
the order of the day.
I'm afraid that this list has become like most of the AIS Robins in
flight.  They started off with substance, but many now talk about who is
having a baby, who is changing jobs ETC.  not discussion about the topic
of the robin.  If serious discussion is in order, than a discussion about
the future of the American Iris Society is tops on the list.  We have
lost our vision, out money and now our members (1000+ lately).  Am I the
only one who is concerned about the loss of that many members?  What do
we have to offer them to come back, or those who are left.  Many 3 year
memberships will be coming up for renewal, and guess what folks - they
won't.  If we lose many more members, AIS will be in deep garden compost.

My appeal:  Please Iris-L members - quality not quantity.

Dennis Stoneburner