Re: Cutting stalks to the ground

Mary, you said:

How do you cut iris stalks down to the ground?  I have never showed an iris
and the closest shows are quite a ways away, so it may be a while, but in the

to know how to do this.  Do you cut all the leaves down that
belong to that stalk as well?  What if that's the only fan the iris has?

I cut all the iris, stalks and foliage, down to the ground this year. If
I leave them on, they will die back anyway, and I'd have to remove them
in the spring. besides subjecting the whole thing to rot in the spring
with dead decaying foliage, I might be overwintering borer eggs on the
foliage, if I were to leave it on.

Many of my iris produce very short new foliage in the fall, so it's a matter
of pulling off the outer longer leaves and just leaving those short leaves,
which are about 2 inches long and look very neat in the garden.

Carolyn Schaffner in Buffalo NY where it's going to get colder again, down
from our seasonal normal of 47 to 40F and lower --------------->bummer