Re: Louisiana Iris

Diana:

I understand that Louisiana iris cultivars developed by the "Arkansas
Hybridizers" tend to do well in northern climes.  This means hybrids bred
by Frank Chowning, Richard Morgan, and Henry Rowlan, in particular.  I have
read good reports on such cultivars as 'Count Pulaski,' 'Dixie Deb,' 'Noble
Moment,' the various "Vodoo" varieties by Rowlan, etc.  Many of these
hybrids contain a significant amount of genes from the more cold hardy
species, such as I. fulva and I. brevicaulis.

For further information, read chapter 8 of "The Louisiana Iris," by Marie
Caillet and Joseph K. Mertzweiller, which contains sections on growing La.
iris in northern climes.  If not available at your local library, get them
to order it--because it is still in print.  Or, of course, you can acquire
it through Inter-Library Loan from your local library.

Tom Dillard
Little Rock, Arkansas  USA
Zone 7B