Louisiana orders

I've ordered Louisianas from both Bois d'Arc and Louisiana Nursery.

The order from Bois d'Arc was dissapointing upon unpacking.  The rhizomes
were small for Louisianas and some had no roots.  I complained and they
offered to refund, but I decided to keep the plants anyway.  All survived
and a few actually bloomed the next spring.  They or their descendants are
still vigorously growing.

The order from Louisiana Nursery was for a mixed, unlabelled collection.
About 50% more rhizomes than ordered were sent and all were very large and
healthy.  Working with photographs, I later guessed that some of the
varieties supplied were relatively recent introductions, including i.e.
Acadiana Sunset and President Hedley, and two tetraploids.  They too have
continued to thrive.

That was about 7? years ago.  I have not ordered from either since then.
By the way, the Louisiana bed (about 5 x 15 ft.) has not been replanted
either.  Now it would seem like a terrific chore!  Each fall the bed gets a
top-dressing of about 4-5" of leaf mould.  Still masses of bloom each
spring.  They're mixed in with oriental and asiatic lilies and self-sown
foxgloves--the occasional Cleome pops up in summer.

Louisianas far outperform tall beardeds for me--no rot, no foliage
problems, strong stems that don't go over in a breeze, long periods between

Best wishes, Bill
William A. Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College