Re: Cutting stalks to the ground

>How do you cut iris stalks down to the ground?  I have never showed an iris
>and the closest shows are quite a ways away, so it may be a while, but in
the
>meantime I want to know how to do this.  Do you cut all the leaves down that
>belong to that stalk as well?  What if that's the only fan the iris has?

Hi Mary:

When cutting a bloomstalk for a show, you cut it with a sharp knife as close
to the RHIZOME as possible... the only leafs you will include are those
attached to the bloomstalk, and you may have to discard one of those if it
won't fit in the container.

Transporting a tall bearded iris to a show takes REAL nerve... and it's best
that husbands and wives don't try this together!   There are all kinds of
tricks and techniques.. but even so, many a QUEEN OF THE SHOW has had their
terminal bloom knocked off by the door frame as it's carried into the show
building.

Kathyguest... been there, done that, got the tee shirt AND the hat!  Husband
clears out of town at showtime.