Thanks Kathy for your prompt answer and the info.  Now I need to know
something else.
I'm really so dumb about all this.  I've raised Tall Bearded for years but
due to the
place I live, (I guess)I don't do much to them except divide them every two
years and water them when the lawn gets watered.  They are in a raised bed,
but ythat is by accident as I didn't know that was a good idea when I
planted them.
        Somewhere I have gotten the idea that the Japanese Iris take a lot
of water and care.  Is this so?  It is very dry and very hot here.  Also I
need plants that do not take a lot of care as I am disabled and can only do
so much.  I would appreciate your sharing your knowledge with me.  If I can
grow them, perhaps you could suggest 3 or 4 varieties to start with.
                                Thank you,

>>Thanks for the list and so much work.  Could I ask you to go a little
>>further and tell me:
>>        Are they Tall Beareded or what?
>>        Which, if any, are rebloomers?
>>               Thank you,
>Hi Norma
>I'm embarrassed to say I broke my own rule, which is to always remember NEVER
>TO START IN THE MIDDLE.  What should have been contained in my post is that
>the Payne Medal is the medal given to the best Japanese Irises as selected by
>AIS judges.  So, therefore, this list represents all Japanese Irises.. and -
>as Gigi will tell us - some of them MAY be rebloomers in some areas!
>But... whether or not this is so, I would recommend Japanese Irises for
>anyone who likes to expand their iris collection into something infinitely
>exotic.. and tough as nails!
>Kathyguest - who looooooves those Japanese Iris - and who is encouraging
>folks to consider a subscription to the JI Review - 2 issues/year for $3.50 -
>what a deal!
Have a Happy Day!