In a message dated 96-11-18 18:19:29 EST,  Norma wrote:

<<          Somewhere I have gotten the idea that the Japanese Iris take a
 of water and care.  Is this so?  It is very dry and very hot here.  Also I
 need plants that do not take a lot of care as I am disabled and can only do
 so much.  I would appreciate your sharing your knowledge with me.  If I can
 grow them, perhaps you could suggest 3 or 4 varieties to start with.
                                 Thank you,

 >But... whether or not this is so, I would recommend Japanese Irises for
 >anyone who likes to expand their iris collection into something infinitely
 >exotic.. and tough as nails!
 >Kathyguest - who looooooves those Japanese Iris - and who is encouraging
 >folks to consider a subscription to the JI Review - 2 issues/year for $3.50
 >what a deal!

Now Dorothy butts in:

Not to belittle Japanese iris in the least, but perhaps a better taste of
"something infinitely exotic" would be provided by arilbred irises in
southern Utah.  I am sure they would be more at home there than the JIs, and
would require less labor to fertilize and divide.  You would definitely have
to provide a good deal of supplemental water for JIs in Utah, Norma.  But
almost anything can be done, if a person puts enough effort into it!

Dorothy Fingerhood
Newfield, NY (and very formerly and briefly of SLC, Utah)