Re: Solarizing in Western PA

>Robert O Forsha wrote:
>> Hi
>> I read your letter about solarizing. I hae a terrible problem with
>> weeds.
>> We have farms on three sides and weed and oat seeds flying in all the
>> time.
>> Could you explain if this process could work here in Western PA.

I haven't done anything with solarizing, but last winter I took a gardening
class with an instructor who had tried it here. Her advice was:

Don't use clear plastic. I won't get hot enough underneath to kill the
weeds, just hot enough to make them grow like crazy. The ground isn't
supposed to get as hot under black plastic, but the seeds won't get any
light to germinate.

Leave it on most of the summer. It'll take a few months to cook.

This is local advice for eastern New York. Your mileage may vary, but I
suspect not by much.

Kay Cangemi
New York, USDA zone 5