Re: show chair duties

> According to AIS rules for judges, is it "legal" for a region to require
> more of their judges than is called for in the handbook/regulations
> where ever they are printed??
Yes, it is legal for a region to add on to the A.I.S. requirements.  The
quote from the judges handbook is as follows:  "In regions where
approved requirements for the judges' training program are more
demanding than those of the AIS, the AIS will recognize the additional
requirements and will support them."  I have listed below the
requirements to become a judge in Region 17.
1.  A candidate must have been a member of AIS for 3 continuous years.
2.  6 hours of judges training classes from at least 2 sessions - all
    tests must be taken and passed
3.  4 hours of practice judging of tall bearded, divided into garden
    judging 2 hrs (may be 2 one hour sessions) and exhibition judging 2
    hrs (may be 2 one hour sessions)
4.  4 one hour sessions of judging other than TB's - garden or
5.  5 letters of recommendation from AIS judges that have tutored you.
6.  Attendance of 2 Region 17 meetings
After this is completed then a candidate can move on to become an
1.  Observation at two AIS accredited iris shows
2.  4 hours in 2 two hour sessions of judging seedlings and new
    in the garden
3.  Attendance at 2 hrs per year of judges training schools - all tests
    must be taken and passed
4.  Judges training on AIS show rules and AIS awards and balloting -
    total of 3 hours
5.  Prepare a show schedule or serve as show Chairperson for AIS
    accredited show.
There is a time limit for completing both halves of this training but I
have forgotten what that is.  I would love to hear what other regions
require of their judges.

Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7
of rain a year.  Our average wind speed is 12.5 mph and we have an