Alfalfa

Well since we have been talking alfalfa again, I thought I would relate
some of my recent experiences (or gaffs as the case may be).

We were finally expecting some rain, so Indecided it was time to
fertilize and put out the alfalfa. Which I did. Fortunately I only put
alfalfa on one bed because I didn't realize that those little pellets
are just like those compressed sponges. When they get moisture on them
they swell up 3-4 times in volume. So if you cover the ground with a
layer of pellets, you will end up with an inch or so of expanded alfalfa
around your plants. I thought that was too much. So I would recommend
not more than 50-60% coverage around established plants. Also, nature
being the perverse creature that SHE is, the pellets that you toss in
the garden tend to collect in the "crook" of the fan. Probably not the
best situation. Not as much of a problem with new transplants because
the fans are smaller and the pellets don't catch as easily. I used about
3 gallons of pellets (as measured in a 5 gallon bucket) per 100 sq feet
for the remaining rows. That seemed to be ok.

It might be better when ever possible to dig pellets into the soil prior
to planting.
--
On 18 Nov  in -

1928, Walt Disney debuted his talking, animated cartoon, Steamboat
Willie, at the Colony Theatre in New York. The short film featured a
character who had been named "Mortimer". Uncle Walt changed the name
toMickey Mouse later Steamboat Willie was the first cartoon with
synchronized sound.  Steamboat Willie was in black and white. Disney's
first, color cartoon wasn't released for another four years.

1894 - The New York World published the first regular Sunday comic
section on this day.

And at the top of the charts on this day in:
1967 - Lulu's To Sir with Love
---

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.