Re: Alfalfa

At 09:18 PM 11/17/96 -0500, you wrote:

>Fortunately I only put alfalfa on one bed because I didn't realize that
those >little pellets are just like those compressed sponges. When they get
moisture >on them they swell up 3-4 times in volume. So if you cover the
ground with a
>layer of pellets, you will end up with an inch or so of expanded alfalfa
>around your plants.
>John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
>Fremont CA, USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)

John,

I found out exactly the same thing this summer when I applied a healthy dose
of alfalfa pellets to my newly planted bearded irises.  I had to go back and
use the garden hose with a pressure nozzle and some good old hand picking to
remove the soggy, swollen pellets that had landed and expanded in the
crevices of the fans.  With subsequent applications of alfalfa pellets I
have been much more careful to either apply prior to planting or apply in
small amounts around the existing plants.  I think that in the future I will
stick to applying the alfalfa pellets to an empty bed prior to replanting
bearded irises after annual dividing.  I think that repeated applications of
the home brewed alfalfa "tea" might be a good alternative to the pellets,
especially for the beardless irises.

-Donald

Donald Mosser
dmosser@southconn.com