Solarizing in Western PA

Robert O Forsha wrote:

> Hi
> I read your letter about solarizing. I hae a terrible problem with
> weeds.
> We have farms on three sides and weed and oat seeds flying in all the
> time.
>
> Could you explain if this process could work here in Western PA.

Robert,

I don't see why solarizing would not work in your area.  Most literature
I've read says to leave it in place for at least 4 weeks.  Do it at the
hottest time of the year usually July/August.  In your area you may want
to leave it on longer if you can.  You may want to experiment first with
a small area.  For me all grass seeds were destroyed and most broadleaf
weed seeds.  Clover is somewhat resistant, however greatly reduced.
Literature says the effect can last for two years.

Rick Tasco
Cathey's Valley, CA in the lower foothills of the Sierra Nevadas.
Hooray its raining!