Re: Solarizing soil

Roger Duncan or Rick Tasco wrote:

> Solarizing soil is a method by which you utilize the sun and water to
> litterly cook all the bad things out of your iris bed.  Start by tilling
> or spading your bed as usual, add organic matter and fertilizer, then
> retill or spade.  Place 'clear' plastic sheeting with UV inhibitors over
> the bed with a soaker hose or similar tubing underneath...

It seems to me that the UV inhibitors (which are there to slow down the
deterioration of the plastic) would decrease the effectiveness of the
process (because more of the UV rays are absorbed by the inhibitors
rather than penetrating through the plastic and heating the soil).

--
On 14 Nov  in -

1832 the first streetcar - a horse-drawn vehicle called the John Mason -
went into operation in New York City. Fare was 12 1/2 cents on fourth
Avenue between Prince & 14th Sts.

1908 Quantum Theory Of Light presented by Albert Einstein.

1910 1st airplane flight from the deck of a ship - the ("U.S.S.
Birmingham")  in Norfolk, Va..

And at the top of the charts on this day in:
1961 -Big Bad John - Jimmy Dean
(I know its a repeat, but it is my birthday after all)
---

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.