Re: Solarizing soil

John I Jones wrote:

> It seems to me that the UV inhibitors (which are there to slow down the
> deterioration of the plastic) would decrease the effectiveness of the
> process (because more of the UV rays are absorbed by the inhibitors
> rather than penetrating through the plastic and heating the soil).

Reply: Believe me and we speak from experience--if you DO NOT use clear
plastic with UV inhibitors, your plastic sheeting WILL start to
deteriorate and break apart after about 2 weeks.  It will not last the
4-6 weeks needed to achieve the best solarization results.

Don't try to economize and use just clear plastic sheeting (costs about
half as much as plastic sheeting with UV inhibitors)  because you will
be sorry!  As I said, we HAVE tried that method! :-)

TRY solarization--it's like getting "virgin soil" all over again!

Rick Tasco
Cathey's Valley, California (Mariposa County)--do you know that we do
not have any traffic signal lights in our entire county!