Re: Solarizing soil

Roger Duncan or Rick Tasco wrote:
> Reply: Believe me and we speak from experience--if you DO NOT use clear
> plastic with UV inhibitors, your plastic sheeting WILL start to
> deteriorate and break apart after about 2 weeks.  It will not last the
> 4-6 weeks needed to achieve the best solarization results.
> Don't try to economize and use just clear plastic sheeting (costs about
> half as much as plastic sheeting with UV inhibitors)  because you will
> be sorry!  As I said, we HAVE tried that method! :-)

Thanks for the tips. I didn't realize that the plastic w/o UV inhibitors
would degrade so fast.

BTW, welcome to the list. I know that when we talked over the phone last
spring or so about whether your software program was available for a Mac
that you were hoping to get "on the net" soon. Glad you finally made it.
What platforms and OS does your software run on now?

> Cathey's Valley, California (Mariposa County)--do you know that we do
> not have any traffic signal lights in our entire county!

Now if I could only figure out how to earn a living in high-tech and
live there too!!!!

On 15 Nov  in -

1492, Christopher Columbus noted in his journal the use of tobacco among
Indians - the first recorded reference to tobacco.

1577, Sir Francis Drake of England left on a voyage around the world.

1660, first kosher butcher (Asser Levy) licensed in NYC (New Amsterdam).

1763, Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon begin surveying the Mason-Dixon
Line -- the southern boundary of Pennsylvania.

1896, the Niagara Falls waterpower electricity generating station begins
transmitting power to Buffalo, N.Y.

And at the top of the charts on this day in:
1956 -Green Door - Jim Lowe

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.