Re: Alfalfa Pellets (was "show grooming handouts")

Gary D Sides wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Nov 1996 loramasche@juno.com wrote:
> >
> > I just bought some alfalfa pellets and am thinking about grinding it up

> Lora, Alfalfa pellets are used in additon to all the regular fertilizers

Just a short comment about alfalfa as a garden amendment. What Gary says
makes sense if you think about what alfalfa really is . . .

The plant itself is a legume, meaning that it is able to fix nitrogen
from the air into the soil. In the process, it retains a very high
nitrogen content in its leaves and stems. Alfalfa, as with most other
cultivated animal feeds, is harvested "green", allowed to dry, and then
processed. When pellets of alfalfa are applied to a garden they not only
increase the level of organic matter in the soil, but give up the high
concentration of nitrogen they possess as they break down. The nitrogen
contributes to lush leaf and stem growth and the plant matter enriches
the soil with humus. Altogether a pretty good thing I would think.

Jane Mattei
jmattei@mail.leoburnett.com