An epic story of "Impressions"

From: Donald Mosser, dmosser@southconn.com, North Augusta, SC

Warning. This message may seem off topic for some, but I thought it
useful/amusing for several of you who chair regional shows and conduct your
local club business, etc.  Also, the story must be told.

Some of you may recall that I don't have a truly local iris society so I've
embarked on a mission to drum up some interest and possibly start a new
society in my area. I took what I consider my first step this past Sunday by
attending the local daylily club meeting.  Let me just preface the rest of
the story with: I know there must be some nice people somewhere in that club!

Actually, I believe that I caught the local daylily people at their worst.
This was their last meeting of this calendar year and they were frantically
planning for a regional show which they will host next summer.  Maybe
"planning" is stretching it a little - it was more like jousting!  What a
first impression for potential new members.  If I hadn't attended a
wonderful regional iris meeting this last spring, I would have sworn that I
didn't want anything to do with a regional daylily meeting after witnessing
this episode.

The meeting (sparring) stretched on for about 2 hours, culminating in the
election of new club officers for next year.  When ballots were passed
around, I didn't take one since I wasn't yet a member and didn't know the
personalities involved.  The lady beside me, however, insisted that I vote.
I exclaimed loudly, "I'm not a member, yet.  This is my first meeting, AND
MAYBE MY LAST!"  I love shock effect. :)  After the meeting several members
indicated that this isn't their normal type of meeting and that they usually
have interesting speakers.  I made one good contact - a fellow who invited
me to come by and visit his garden and offered to trade with me this summer.

I told this long story just to impress upon those of you who conduct your
club meetings to remember that you never know who might walk in and then
just walk out of your meeting.  For all they (this daylily club) knew, I
could have been an independently wealthy philanthropist who goes around
giving money to garden clubs so they can host spectacular regional shows.
No doubt that these daylily people have succeeded in driving away many
potential members.

Let me add that all of the iris society meetings that I have attended have
been just the opposite - Very little if any evidence of grudges and
bickering among members (I'm not blind; it's probably there, but it isn't
aired during club meetings).

This experience has not discouraged me in making iris converts of the local
daylily people - there are some "good daylilies" in there somewhere.  In
fact, the "good daylilies", knowing the last daylily club agenda, probably
had the good sense to set out the last meeting. :)  I think reblooming iris
and beardless may be my lure for the nice daylily people (notorious rotter
TB's for the troublemakers :).

-Donald (fighting off the frost for those last rebloomers)

Donald Mosser
dmosser@southconn.com
North Augusta, South Carolina, USA
Zone 7b-8