Re: Australia Iris

Someone raised a question about "Australia Iris". I am no sure what is meant
by the question.  Are we talking about irises from Australia or irises
native to Australia.  The only genus that is native to Australia, I think,
is Patersonia which is not very spectacular but rather interesting.  I have
searched for it in Western Australia but very early in the season.  i found
some specimens on the very south coast and many plants on the west coast but
the seed heads were spent and I did not get a viable seed.  In my view, it
is not the sort of flower that would interest the average gardener.

With reference to introduced irises to Australia, I found that in the west,
almost everything was Louisianans and some Japanese as well as African
irises such as Dietes.  In the SE one finds the normal range of species
found in the gardens in NAm with Dietes again abundant in the warmer areas.

Ian E. Efford
Ottawa zone 3