Advice to Sally Guye

>   I cut the
> bloomstalk off as close to the rhizome as possible and enjoyed the
> flowers inside.  However,  the rhizome looks OK but there is half a
> leaf left only.   Would anyone suggest flinging a bit of bone meal
> down or I saw alfalfa in our latest health shop being sold in little
> sachets rather like a grain  for human consumption  would that be any
> good?  Any advice very welcome
> Sally in South Africa
> Sally Guye
> email zosg@warthog.ru.ac.za

Once a rhizome blooms it has done its job and will never bloom again.
Perhaps you knew this, but my point is that the mother rhizome is not to
be concerned about at this stage.  It is the increase (small plants
growing along the side of the rhizome) which you should take care of.
These will be your blooming plants for the next season.  Feed and water
regularly and they should do fine for you.  An all purpose fertilizer
such as "Miracle Gro" would be fine

Rick Tasco
Cathey's Valley, CA