Label Mania

Well, I guess I'll add my two cents worth of label lore. I am trying a
new thing for me. I got some of that vinyl coated paper (in five
different colors) from horticultural printers, and made labels with a
bunch of info on them. Name, Hybridizer, intro year, height, bloom
season, description, planting date and source. (All easily done form my
database). All that made a label about 2 1/2 by 5 inches. I printed them
14 to a sheet complete withan "X" at the right spot to punch a hole with
one die in a three hole punch. The label stock is very tough (you can't
tear it with your hands), and is reported to stand up a long time to
weather when printed with a laser printer.

Then I went to the garden store a bought a bunch of those little flags
on 18" wire stakes that landscapers use to mark where sprinkler systems
are going in. They were about 9 cents apiece in bundles of 100. I cut
off the flag (took all of about 5 minutes to do a bundle) using a razor
knife. Then I took a piece of 3/8" pipe, cut a slot in the end with a
hacksaw and clamped it to my bench. Next I took each of the wires,
inserted the end in the slot, wrapped it around the pipe about 1 1/2
times and slid it off. The result is a wire stake with a little cirlecue
on the top - sort of like those circular things you put keys on except
the end sticks into the  center rather than laying along the curve of
the ring. Drawing below. Took me about 20 minutes to do 100 wires.
(Cirlecue not in porportion to height in drawing).
        /    \
       (----  )
       |\ __ /

Stick the wire into the ground, take the tag, slip the hole in the tag
onto the tang of the wire loop and around so it hangs from the bottom of
the ring and presto a loosely hanging tag that can be conveniently
looked at, but hangs down out of the way when you want to take a
picture. Total cost per stake and label - about $0.15 plus about a total
of 1 minute for all operations. I use different colors for TBs and IBs,
guest iris, club iris and whatever. 300 labels for $45.00 is pretty
good. Commercial stakes are in the $0.50 range.

The vinyl paper won't tear off, and hopefully the print will stay
legible based on the other reports. I'll let you know next summer. Of
course I have it all backed up with a map, so if some visiting youngster
decides to liberate my flags, I will have recourse.
On 13 Nov  in -

1789, Benjamin Franklin wrote a letter to a friend in which he said, "In
this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."

1805, Johann Georg Lehner invented a recipe for the frankfurter, a new
kind of sausage.

1865, the U.S. issued the first gold certificates.

1971, Mariner 9 was placed in orbit around Mars, the first manmade
spacecraft around another planet.

Born on Tom Tadford Little's birthday in :

354 - SAINT Augustine, Tagaste, Numidia -- Hippo Regius - Bishop of
Hippo in Roman Africa from 396 to 430 and the major Christian theologian
of the early Western Church.

1718 - John Montagu Sandwich, 4th Earl of, VISCOUNT HINCHINGBROOKE,
BARON MONTAGU OF SAINT NEOTS . British first lord of the Admiralty
during the American Revolution (1776-81) and the man for whom the
sandwich was named.

1850 - another great author - Robert Louis Stevenson -Treasure Island,
Kidnapped, Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde, A Child's Garden of Verses

1879 - James Clerk Maxwell - Scotish Physicis - Measured speed of ligh
at 186,292.4 miles per second, any faster & you'll get a speeding ticket
breaking the law of physics; If you're going that fast, will your
headlights work?

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.