Re: Iris gracilipes

<< I think Japan is fairly cool
 since the Japanese irises also require cold winters.  >>
You may be correct about it not being cold enough in places like VA, since
Barbara Schmieder grows I. gracilipes wonderfully in Mass.  It also does
well, I understand, in Pacific Northwest (but than everything does well
there!)  On the other hand, I. milesii, another lovely Evansia, does fine in
Virginia....at least it did until I divided my clump and gave most of it
away, only to have the piece I kept die at once.  Clarence Mahan