Re: Labels

The information for youth in AIS suggests making labels from aluminum pop cans.
I do not recommend it, since it could produce sharp edges, and the left-over
parts of the cans would have to be disposed of, AND, for the 5 cents collected,
strips could be made from heavier material as others here have suggested!

	Anyway, for anyone who might be interested, here are the instructions
for making labels from pop cans:

a. Remove top and bottom, then slitthe sides using heavy scissors or cutters.
Beware of cutting fingers. (!!) Wash and dry, then flatten the sheet by
rubbing it over a atable edge. Cut it iinto name plates 1 3/4" by 2 3/4" or
whatever size you desire.
b. With wire cutters, cut a 20" piece of #14 or #12 galvanized wire (avaiilable
at hardware stores or in a pinch use coat hangers). Bend to a U shape, 2 1/4"
X 8 7/8" using pliers or use a vise and tap gently with a hammer for sharp
corners. Bend back the top and side edges of the name plate and wire to
about a 30 degree angle, if desired, for easy reading.
c. Label the front with the variety name. If using a label maker, add a staple
for extra security, or use the tubes of "embroidery" paint, with ball-point
tips, available in craft stores.
	NOTE: inthe diagram, the corners of the strip of aluminum were clipped
to miter them when bending back the edges.

**** Further note:

	These instructions need some revision if they are to be used with
youth. I'm guessing that the metal for the name plate is wrapped around
the wire U form, much like the EON markers???

	Anyone with suggestions for making markers with/for/by youth??

Carolyn Schaffner in Buffalo, NY where it's COLD and I'm looking for gloves
to use while typing altho some may think I already have them on....