Welcome Dennis Hager

R. Dennis Hager wrote:

> Greetings from the Delmarva Penninsula. First of all, I am no relation
> to Ben Hager.

>Someone asked:
>"Where is the Delmarva Penninsula?"

     The Delmarva Penninsual is composed of land from three states DEL
(Delaware) MAR (Maryland) and VA (Virginia).  It juts out into the Atlantic
Ocean on the East Coast of the US.  One one side of the penninsula is the
Atlantic Ocean and on the other side is the Chesapeake Bay.  The Chesapeake Bay
and the penninsula was formed at the end of the ice age by ice and melting ice.
If any of you have read James Mitchner's "Chesapeake", then this is the area
that he writes about.  If not, then it is an excellent book to read during the
winter.   The penninsula narrows at the tip and is connected to the mainland of
Virginia (Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, & Suffolk areas) by
the 26 mile Chesapeake Bay Tunnel - one of the engineering marvels of the new
world!

     Welcome to Iris-L Dennis!  We're distant neighbors and probably live about
two hours from each other. I live in Portsouth, VA.  Please tell us more about
yourself!  Do you belong to a local iris society or AIS?  Like you I also grow
JI's and a smidgen of everything else.

You asked?
>. I recently acquired I. japonica and I. douglasiana, both of which I will keep
inside this winter. Being on >the East Coast, I am not overly optimistic about
growing I. douglasiana, but I've got it. I'll try. Wyman's >lists hardiness for
both species as Zone 8. Is there any evidence that either species is more hardy?

     I don't grow I. douglasiana so I'm not that familiar with it.  I do believe
that it is grown by other AIS Region 4 members in Maryland, or Northern
Virginia.  Perhaps Clarence can answer this question.  I have had I. japonica
growing in my garden for at least three years in a protected area, but this part
of Virginia is in Agricultural Zone 8A.  You MAY get it to grow for you if you
put it in a protected area.  I was surprised that mine made it thru the cold
winter we had last year.

Looking forward to hearing from you, neighbor!

Bill Smoot - where it got down to 29 degrees F. in Portsmouth, VA last night.
BRRR!!!

Ais Region 4         Agricultural Zone 8A           73210.1725@compuserve.com